Babbel & Krabbel Kleuter-en Bewaarskool Privacy Notice
This Notice explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
Babbel & Krabbel Nursery School (and including this website, www.babenkrab.co.za) are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently.
Who we are:
Babbel & Krabbel Nursery School is an Early Childhood Development Centre, catering for pre-school leaners from the age of 3 months until 6 years. We opened our doors in 1970 and have been a proud member of the Centurion community for the last 50 years. As educators we focus on the foundational development of learners to prepare them for formal education and have created a culture of quality informal education.
Our Mission is to establish a happy, stimulating, and enriching atmosphere for every child, to nourish and encourage learners’ physical, spiritual, emotional and intellectual capacities to the full. We promote a safe and secure environment that protects the needs learners on a daily basis and aim to deliver a quality service and professional advice to both our parents and the broader community.
The type of personal information we collect:
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics (for example, name and contact details)
We collect and process your personal information mainly for contact purposes. For this purpose, we will collect contact details including your name, ID number and contact details. The collection of learners’ personal information is mainly for educational and care purposes and an understanding of their developmental and growth requirements.
We collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
How we get the personal information and what we use it for:
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or experience optimisation purposes, enabling us to provide you with an enhanced educational experience at Babbel & Krabbel Nursery School.
- To gather contact information;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are the legal guardian of the child;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings.
We do not receive personal information indirectly, from other sources
We use the information that you have given us in order to:
- Contact parents when needed
- Contact parents/emergency contacts during an emergency
- Refer to Learner information, enabling the School and/or teacher to provide optimal care and education.
We may share this information with:
- In case of a medical emergency
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
Collection of Information by “Cookies”
When will we process your personal information:
In terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), the justification ground which we base our processing on consist out of the following:
- The data subject or a competent person where the data subject is a child consents to the processing. Kindly note that you have the right to withdraw your consent;
- The processing is necessary to carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party;
- The processing complies with an obligation imposed by law on the business;
- The processing protects a legitimate interest of the data subject;
- The processing is necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by the business;
- The processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of the business or of a third party to whom the information is supplied.
How we store your personal information:
Your information is securely stored:
Information provided through our enrolment form is stored in two ways:
- A digital copy saved in the School’s cloud drive and only accessible to the Information officer
- A hard copy is securely stored in a locked cabinet. Only the information officer has access to these files.
We keep your information for legal, departmental and information purposes. We will then dispose your information by shredding all relevant documentation after a period of 5 years.
Your data protection rights:
- You are entitled to access your personal data by sending a written request to Hanlea van Schalkwyk to email@example.com. We may charge you a fee for this service as set out in terms of Condition 8 of POPIA.
- You may also request Babbel & Krabbel Nursery School to correct or supplement any of your personal data which Babbel & Krabbel Nursery School will undertake as soon as practicable.
- Request the destruction of your personal data. Hanlea van Schalkwyk will consider your request in light of any other laws or regulations prohibiting Babbel & Krabbel Nursery School from destroying your personal data.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at Hanlea van Schalkwyk to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to make a request.
Name: Hanlea van Schalkwyk
Address: 253 Zircon Street
Phone Number: 012 664 5257
How to complain:
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at Hanlea van Schalkwyk to email@example.com.
You can also complain to the Information Regulator if you are unhappy with how we have used your Information.
Their contact details are as follows:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
33 Hoofd Street
Forum III, 3rd Floor Braampark
P.O Box 31533
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za